Nothing Like A Piece of Home.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I miss home. I love it here, but I'll be honest, I miss home.

I called home that other day, because my parents have not been calling me for fear of disrupting exam preparations. -_-" What preparations? Heh. Lol.

Last day of work was eventful, to say the very least. Worked a Saturday shift from 2 till 6:30 p.m. Apparently Christmas extended working hours have started, which was why we were open till 6.
For goodness sake, it's not even November. It was crazy, like Saturdays always are. But we got this absolutely insane woman, demanding a refund for underwear. Now, company policy is that we don't refund underwear. Cause well, that's...disgusting. Plus, even if she wasn't refunding underwear, she didn't even have a receipt with her.

She got all psycho and demanded that we refund it and telling us things like "
Well, Target would do it!" And get this, she claimed that she would make us shut down. I think my manager nearly burst out laughing at that threat. Lol.

All this for
20 bucks worth of candy mesh boyleg panties. -_-

Then, we got people nicking jumpers off the front racks of the store. The racks are pretty way up front, if we were in the back of the store, or at the register, there's no way we would've caught them. Stupid teenagers (Now, don't I sound old?) then proceeded to tiny little Diva around the corner to steal more stuff. Diva's like a quarter of our store, and they have two sales assistants there on Saturday. Of course they were gonna get caught. Idiots.

Thanks to them, I had to spend the rest of my shift, hovering near the front of the store,
hanging and tagging on-sale underwear and watching the front racks like an eagle. Thanks a lot, stupid tweenie juveniles.

APhoto0234
Like I said before, bye bye 30% staff discount. It was fun while you lasted.

But oh well, I have to say that I did have a bit of fun working there.
My manager's a great manager; the manager-in-training was scary at first, and still is scary, but she's all right, I suppose. And some of the other casuals were awesome fun to chat to. I've always wanted to use the cash register when I was younger, and I guess I can say that I've now done that. In a lingerie shop, nonetheless. Lol. I definitely won't miss the vacuuming though.

So yes, that was my last day and I thought I'd tell my mum because I thought she was gonna nag at me for working and not spending enough time studying.

Mum: How's work, girl?
Me: Oh, I resigned already.
Mum: HARHH? WHY? Aiyoh, they train you so hard and you leave so fast? You 'wan yehhh' ar? So bad. Why you resign?
Me: [who are you and what have you done with my mother?] Erh, hello? I'm having exams in a week?
Mum: Oh ya hor, you have to study.

-___-"

Mothers are so completely unpredictable.
Chastising me for resigning when exams are in a week. Imagine that.

She then passed the call to my dad, and the line got cut off. Fifteen minutes later, he called back and immediately went, "
Your mother so clumsy. She just dropped the phone and it broke into pieces. Second time already!", like it's the end of the world. Lol.

Aaron: Har-lo, Wen Yee
Me: Hello boy! How are you?
Aaron: *pause* Fiiine.
Me: How's school? (I know, I'm such a boring auntie.)
Aaron: *long pause* Fiiine. *takes deep breath* YouknowarWenYee, I got65formyChinese.
Me: Oh, 65 okay what.
Aaron: *loooooonger pause* MY MOTHER SCOLD ME YOU KNOW! SHE SAY MUST GET 80 AND A-BUF!
Me: :-S

Poor little stressed out kid.

Sandy: Haiyor Wen, I tell you, when I saw Aaron's Chinese marks, I nearly got a heart attack you know.
Me: Considering our whole family can't read or write Chinese, it's quite good isn't it? Who ask our whole family to be banana!

I then complained about Tax Law, and my sister got so excited with her stories of Tax Law back in the day and we started gossiping about all others sorts of stuff, until you could hear my dad
mumbling in the background about how we were talking about unnecessary stuff and how the phone bill was gonna be so expensive. Lol. Just like old times.

Calling home is sort of like a recharge. You get to hear familiar voices, most of which you've heard for nineteen years. It's a little piece of home, and it's nice to have that so many miles away. It's the little things you end up missing, like
random pieces of conversation flying all over the dinner table and the tv-bonding over Wah Lai Toi advertisements.

And...the next day I got mail from home. Talk about timing. It was in the same envelope, from my dad. He always uses this Hotel Equatorial envelope; I have no idea where he gets so many.

The first time, it contained The Star newspaper clippings about the AMO contact lens solution. Lol. Click here for my recap.

The second time, it contained a handmade birthday card paper from him. Nothing more in the envelope, just a yellow piece of paper. I'd given up expecting cheques after what I received the first time round, lol.

APhoto0051
Aww, isn't that sweet?

So yes, third time round, I really had no idea to expect. Again, it was thin. Not a cheque, not my birthday. Could it be...more newspaper clippings?

HE SENT STAMPS. OMG.

He collected the envelopes that I sent birthday cards in, back home, and selected the ones that could be re-used, soaked them in water so that they would detach from the envelope, carefully put three thin strips of double-sided tape on the back of them, no more no less; and sent them back to me so I could reuse them. Hahahaha.

APhoto0235
Three stamps, of which I get to save...
$3.75. Lol. Makes that RM 11.25. That, and a very very sweet note in his doctor handwriting. Double aww.

The chronicles of my mail from home. Never gets old, does it? Hee.

*

While I'm here, here's wishing
YK a very happy belated birthday!

YK and I
Us while watching the Magpies. Don't be so sarcastic anymore, pleeeeaseeeeee. Lol.

And also, a gigantic happy birthday to
Ms. Caryn Yan; gossip and shopping partner-in-crime!

Caryn & I
Us at the Merdeka Party at Gravity Bar.


In a half-ditch attempt to save this blog from going down the pipes, I shall promise to blog (or rather, just post pictures of them, because I bet you'd rather look at many coloured pixels than reading my lengthy paragraphs) about what's been going on. More to come next time on...

Switchfoot
Switchfoot at Richmond AOG!

Snow Patrol
Snow Patrol. OMG. Yes
Sharm, that's your little speck of Gary Lightbody there!

Wilson's Prom
The very beautiful Wilson's Promontory with Melissa's cell group.

Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road and it's perpetual rainy state.

APhoto0227
The pretty flowers at the Tesselaar Tulip Farm.

Footy
And of course, my newfound love for
Australian rules football and the Magpies. You can't not know about this. Lol.


Right, I best be studying now. I'm going to close Facebook, and open my text books. Wish me luck. A week till I'll be leaving for Gold Coast, omg, I can't wait. Gah.

You Might Also Like

0 spoke

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

For the Gram