And She's Alive and Picking Cherries.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Look, I know I promised to be better at the whole blogging thing, but I just seem to have lost the drive to blog. Words don't come as easy as they used to, and they don't string together as easily as they did before either. It was the one thing that I used to do with ease, and the one that felt truly therapeutic besides the sound of music (Shut up, I know you guys are probably saying, "Liar! Shopping is her therapy!". Heh.). Maybe it's the result of sitting in front of my laptop day in and out, using MSN speak. How detrimental to the writer's soul. The lols and omgs come naturally. I don't even read a tenth of what I read at home. Such a shame.

I used to write fictional pieces; little ficlets and long pieces. Poems, plays. Feature articles, interviews, event coverages. I haven't done most of that in a long, long time. I should join the mag team when I get back if Monash Malaysia has one.

The blog was supposed to be my way of connecting with the people back home. To convey that I am indeed, well and alive. Talk about
mission: failed. Eep.

Come on blogging bug, give me a bite!

That aside, yes, results came out three days ago, and I am so, so relieved. I expected what I was going to get for some units, and surpassed expectations for the remaining ones, so...go, me. I have
successfully conquered Taxation Law (with a lot of sweat and stress and muscles from lugging those bricks they call books to and fro every Wednesday and Thursday) and will never ever EVER have to endure deductibility of expenses, and fringe benefits tax, and franking credits and, oh god, let's not go through the whole list again, shall we? Just one more law unit to go in my degree, and it really can't be over quick enough.

In case you haven't already noticed, law and I? Not good friends.

Jia Yi said, in her blog, that we're now officially third year students. And omg, yes, we are officially third year students. Is that insane or what? I remember sitting for SPM as clear as yesterday. Wait, maybe even clearer than yesterday. All the twelve hour group studies with my best study bud,
Chris; sitting on the terrace in between papers with the girlfriends, all the frantic good-lucks and all-the-bests before I begin the long walk down the aisle to my seat which was right in front of the stage.

Snritaz On Terrace1
We actually found time to cam-whore in between SPM papers. Imagine that. Lol.

Fwenz1
Taken immediately after our last paper. Smell of freedom, and the beginning to the rest of our lives. And yes, I have heard from others that my eyes are extremely small in this picture. I do not need to hear it again from you and you and you.

Isn't it strange
how time zips you by? I'm apparently bordering the end of my teen years, no matter how vehemently I want to deny that fact, more than half way through my degree and yes, that much closer to having to be a full-fledged adult.

Idon'twanttogrowup! *throws tantrum*

Meh, this post was not intended to be a nostalgic-looking-back-at-yester-year post. -____-" I'm still young and immature and childish, dammit. Hah.

Anyway, in between rounds of never-ending gossiping and trying to squeeze the products of my shopping into boxes and bags, we've been trying to complete all the things we said we'd do throughout the year in Melbourne but never got off our lazy laurels to do. The next week is going to be jam-packed with food and sights and must-dos.

Stalactites - which is apparently this fantastic Greek place which has awesome souvlakis on the corner of... erh, was it Lonsdale St and Russell St? I said that I've never heard of it, and Caryn, and later Ian stared at me like I was nuts. So yes, must-try.

Smith St - sporting wear factory outlets, Roxy, Nike, Adidas, the deal.

Chapel St again- window-shopping because I sure as hell can't afford the shops there, and I really want to try that cute American-style diner with booth seats and jukeboxes. Very 60's feeling.

DFO again - whaaaaaaaat? *looks innocent*

Lygon St for the gazillionth time - I refuse to leave Melbourne without a scoop of Roche at Freddo's. :'(

Brunswick - for the chocolate-dipped churros and the most amazing salmon pizza in the world.

St Kilda - the beach, the quaint shops, and apparently a latin festival.

Vic Market - which holds a summer night market on Monday and Wed nights.

Chadstone Shopping Centre - where I've spent so much of my time working and shopping. Sigh. I must go back there one last time.

Grandma Kimchi in Carnegie - I'm going to miss the Korean food here so badly and am going to hunt for a good Korean joint when I get back. The best steamboat, bibimbab and bulgolgi ever. Sigh.

Uzu in Caulfield - Best sushi in Melbourne and where I spent all my Thursday lunches with Joachim in the first sem and with dear Tricia throughout the entire year. Memories and good food.

Christmas in the Park at Malvern Road - Apparently there's this Christmas celebration nearby in Stonnington where they perform Christmas songs in the evening and there's like a carnival, with food and drinks and crafts for sale.

Eep. Have I left anything out? Imagine that, eight (
techinically nine, but I'm sure the last day will be frantically spent trying to squeeze in more things into my poor old bag passed down from generations ago) more days and so many things to do! And so many things to eat. :-S


I've actually been doing quite well so far in terms of making the best of my exchange. I've been to places I wanted to go, done things I've never thought I would ever do, experienced a bit of Aussie culture. It's been great. And I'm going to miss this place.

Marked off yet another thing we've been looking forward to doing since the beginning of the year on Saturday -
cherry picking!

Mel and I went along with her friend, who was her senior at work during her internship at EY last year. Him, and a humongous bunch of his friends, and a few of Mel's cell group members who came along. The cherry farm, Chappies, is in Dandenong, which is about over an hour's drive from Melbourne.

ADSC01780
The cherry orchard flanked by tall pine trees behind.

ADSC01779
Ladies and gentlemen, that is what a cherry tree looks like.

ADSC01773
Mel, Stephanie and Wei Wen before we left to pick.

ADSC01790
The cherry farm.

ADSC01782
Yum. We were so excited to see the cherry trees, and almost attacked them. Seriously, picking a cherry fresh off the tree and popping it into your mouth - very fun. And, they were so sweet and juicy.

ADSC01793
As you can see, we were very excited to spend a day with the cherries.

ADSC01801
Super-cherry-picke-and-lover
Mel in action.

ADSC01818
Cheery. Cherry.

ADSC01823
A branch of cherries. They look a tad like grapes.

ADSC01815
That looks...kinda obscene. Heh.

ADSC01822
The reddest ones we found, which later we found out the hard way that the redder, the less ripe they actually are.

ADSC01799
Oh my family is going to be so, so jealous.

ADSC01832
For some reason, this picture makes me feel like I'm in Malaysia. Strange.

ADSC01814
Mel and Wei Wen.

ADSC01819
:)

ADSC01816
Cherries make Wen a happy girl.

ADSC01826
A pair of cherries. It reminds me of what you feed your fluff pets with in Facebook. Heh.

ADSC01834
Row after row of cherry trees. Heaven.

ADSC01835
Don't they look so pretty and juicy?

ADSC01836
On the way back from the orchard to the cherry farm reception. Yes, we are very proud of our cherry picking skills.

ADSC01839
All cherried out.

ADSC01775
The cherries for sale at the reception. Did you guys know that not all cherries are red? There are those yellow ones too. Interesting, eh?

ADSC01840
Rows of raspberries. I never knew there were so many types.

ADSC01857
Raspberry trees, or rather, bushes.

ADSC01847
Raspberries up close. Ehh, give me cherries any day. Raspberries are kinda sour-ish and... hairy.

ADSC01866
The famous Pie in the Sky!

ADSC01859
The Pie Floater, which is a specialty, and apparently a "Gold Medal Winner". Heh. It's actually a steak pie in pea and bacon soup, topped with mashed potatoes, and was really good. Mmm.

ADSC01863
The quaint little shops there.

ADSC01860
Cupcakes, but not your yummy butter and frosting cupcakes, but made out of...soap.

ADSC01869
Us lazing around on a lazy Saturday evening. Boy, am I gonna miss this.

ADSC01868
I still couldn't stop taking pictures after we got home. Our dear cherries. Heh.



See you all very very soon. Loveeee, Wen. :)

You Might Also Like

0 spoke

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

For the Gram