In The Rearview Mirror.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

*Warning: Long post ahead.*

I'm done.

91 days, 13 weeks, 8 assignments, 4 final examinations, and countless sleepless nights brings me to the end of the first semester of university life.

It seems like it practically flew by on auto-cruise.

Before I know it, I'll be standing on some stage, wearing some humongous recycled graduation gown, wearing some square hat with a tassel hanging off of it, and receiving a scroll.

Scary stuff if you think about it.

You always dream about growing up, and there would be so much hype about going to college or university, because the people seem so grown up. I know I couldn't wait to go when I was in primary school. Human nature, I suppose. But now that you're actually there, it's a whole different story. Things were so much easier back then.

I don't really know what the point of this post is, but well, it's just another random write-out, I think. Typing whatever that comes to mind.

I've sure come a long way since kid-dom. I think I used to be a pretty shy kid around strangers. Except for the people I knew well. I still remember kindergarten days in Chim. My first kindy teacher's name was
Ms. Guna, and well, now when I come to think about it, she looks scarily a lot like Pn-Santhi-the-tyrant. I remember sitting with a girl named Adeline, who was easily my best friend in primary school. I wonder how she's doing now. Another guy named Eugene sat in front of us, with another dude, who's name I seriously don't remember. I remember singing TVB drama themesongs with Eugene in class, hee. And catching a spider and putting it into another boy's bag. But aside from all that, I was a pretty shy kid, especially around grown-ups I didn't know.

Then came primary school came around. The first two friends I made in my class were a girl named
Wai Ling, and Jonathan Chan. For some reason, I was made class monitor, and didn't even realise it until it was June or something. Guess the blur-ness hasn't changed, has it? Lol.

For the first half of primary school, I was awfully close to
Li San (we seriously used to be inseperable), Huay Lian, Marianne, Sabrina and Yee Mun (where did she go?). Don't remember that many guys because I think we went through the whole phase of 'Eeyerrrr, boy!'. Haha. Off the top of my head right now, I only remember Juen, Kien Khong, and Andrew Chong. I'm sure there must've been more.

Then, I passed PTS, and skipped Standard Four, and I remember being really miserable about the whole thing because I didn't really want to leave all my friends behind. But to lessen the blow, thankfully
Huay Lian, Vino and Juen all skipped, too. Huay Lian and I spent the last two years in primary school being corrupted by people like Sharm, Manda and Michelle. *shakes head sadly* And there went my innocence. Stealing footballs from Matchstick and Lidi, hiding Digimons in the flower pots, playing in my first (and last, might I add) ever football competition [I swear I won't forget the Mun Fong own goal for as long as I live!], secret chat books, teasing Dugong about not having any eyebrows, and then getting threatened by Dugong that he'll bring his machine guns to gun us all down, plotting an act against the guys by pretending to want to jump off the school building. I don't think there's anything that we DIDN'T do in primary school.

Form 1 rolled around, and we were exposed to the world of turquoise pinafores and army green long pants. It was here, that I got exceptionally close to
Ching. We always were close before that, but never were in the same classes or anything. I grew very close to Siokkwan as well, after running around KLCC with her to look for our Winnie the Pooh keychains. :D We were all in the same class with Ping and Nic; we had this thing called a chat book, which was basically an exercise book which we wrote in and passed to one another, being our little 'chatroom' during classes. I think I'm still keeping some of those, actually. Hee.

Form 2 and Form 3 were great fun. We were the noisiest classes, both years, in our form. Gave our wonderful class teachers headaches, and got complaints about us all the time. I still remember this time in Form 3 where the guys started playing with this ball which they made themselves out of tons of crumpled paper and loadsa cellotape. They would throw it round and round the class which bugged the heck out of the rest of us. So, one day, we stole the ball, and I wrapped it up with my pink cellotape and drew flowers on it. :D

But that didn't stop them from throwing it around, and one fine day, they got caught by the discipline teacher. So he comes in, and demands to know who made it.
Nathaniel stands up, and admits to being the mastermind behind it but then... tells him that he didn't draw the flowers on it. Gee thanks, Nat. Obviously, he asks the class who drew the flowers. Oops, busted. Thank god I didn't get punished along with the guys.

We were supposedly the second class in Form 3 because usually the people who took Chinese would all be streamed into the first class, so our whole class was English speaking. But what's amazing is that for PMR, our class beat the other class in terms of straight As. Hah.

And then there were the huge tuition classes with
Pn. Molly, where I remember Pek Wah throwing a piece of parsley into this girl's, which we all didn't like, pencil case, and shaking it so that everything in it would smell of parsley. :D

Form 4, and I got streamed into what was supposedly the best class. I know I was feeling rather miserable in the beginning, because things were not like how I was used to. They were more studious than I was used to, expectations were higher, more quiet than I was used to. Thank God for
Jo, Diane, Kish, Kapi, Sat, Drew, Josie, Soonie, Paul and Cheeks. I don't know what I'd have done without them. We all really bonded, because for two years, these are the same people you see, day in, day out. We were the noisiest people in class, and the ones who laughed like nobody's business, cam-whored in the middle of class, slept like logs, stood outside the corridors enjoying wind while En. Kamal was inside teaching. I remember Kish, Jo, Diane, Kapi and I used to sit in one row, five tables together in the middle of class. Mary tells me that she walked past our class one day, and our whole row was sleeping, while everyone was doing their work. Oops. I didn't realise that, hee.

We did the crazy 'Looking for A Rain God' play in Form 4 for the interclass competition and won. It was nuts. We put everyone into sarongs, and choregraphed a rain-dance to the Survivor themesong, and used dustpans as cangkuls.
Paul was the cool rain god who wore sunglasses. And Andrew was the priest who wore the table cloth. It was so freaking hilarious, and I can't believe we managed to pull it off. We wrote the screenplay together, had rehearsals together, choreographed together. Not bad for a bunch of people who didn't really know each other that well before this.

I don't know if whether it was a matter of time, or whether some of our influenced rubbed off on them, but we got a lot closer to the rest of them in Form 5.
Czhia Hao, Wai Kit, Lik Xiong, De Shun, Felix, etc. We did the craziest things as a class. The whole Merdeka celebration thing, which I knew we wouldn't win, but had tons of fun doing it as a class. Singing 'Tanggal 31' at the top of our lungs, and shouting Merdeka after Wei Soon, and using the a kuali from the Cadets den as a gong; I made head bands that said 'Merdeka' for all the guys to wear like samurais. Diane and Kapi running downstairs to pluck the hibicus flowers for the three of us to wear in our hair. Grabbing bakau from the Cadets den to build an arch in front of the corridor to our class. Kish and Drew drawing mustaches on their faces with the white board marker because they were the 'penjagas' of the arch. So many fond memories.

And then there was the cha-cha dance which six of us performed for Teacher's Day. That was SO much fun.
Kapi would shout at Kishwen, and Kishwen would shout at Kapi, and they would start squabbling like mad while the other four of us laughed our heads off. And what's more, they were partners. Go figure. There was always some love-hate relationship there.

Tuitions in Edusmart when I REALLY got close to
Mary and Sukkwan and Jovina. The four of us, along with Ching and Sioki would buy a whole plastic bag of sweets every Monday, and sneak papadam up to class from the mamak downstairs, and munch away at the back of class instead of studying sastera.

Form 4 & 5 were also the years were I got so attached to Leo and PBSM. I grew so much closer to
Sheng, and Teng because of Leo, and Ben and Joseph through PBSM. We went through tiring camps, installations, projects, teacher advisors, performances and stress, but I had tons of fun. Tons of it. From planning projects and events, to choreographing dances and performing, to marching under the hot blazing sun, there's not one moment that I would want to give up. Okay, so maybe I would give up the marching sessions, but well, you get what I mean. Haha.

There were the basketball sessions with
Sioki, Dong, Liang Chien, Czhao, Wai Kit, LX and the rest on Thursday nights, where we laughed more than we actually played. Study groups with Chris for as long as ten hours in a day. Daily sarcastic exchanges with Joseph. Rough netball matches with Kapi. Bitching sessions with Diane and Sheng and Teng. Lame jokes by Wei Soon. Blur moments with Andrew. Chee Kit's weird anecdotes. Sneaking food up to class with Kishwen, who is a prefect, by the way. Distracting Sat with Maria Sharapova's legs. Leo discussions, and TV show recaps with Jo. Talking about anything under the sun with Paul.

School days are days that I miss more than anything in the world. Everyone knew each other, more or less, being in the same school for five years. Things are different after that.

There are so many people around you, and yes, you can get to know their name, say hi and bye, and things like that. But those aren't friends, they're acquaintences.

College was a blast, more so because of my extended family in Student Council, and of course,
Cath and Eugene from Echo, and the MUFY gang.

And then now, in uni with
Mel, Zhen Han and Bryan, who I suppose are the only people who can tolerate me, seeing that they're forced to spend their days with me, hah. And to a lesser extent, there's Darren, Eve, Josh, Pohyee.

Laughing in Stats tutorial about
Mr. Choong's funny pronouciation, talking our heads off in the back of the lecture theatres, staying back to work on assignments, Bryan greeting me with a 'Wendy Schmendy' every damn day, lol. These are the things that have made this semester so memorable, and well, although I dread going back on July 10th for the new semeseter, it's the people that will make it worth it.

Sigh. Talk about nostalgia.

And that adds another new nickname to my list. I've had Wen by family and close friends; Dee
by Chris Oh a.k.a. Crispy, which is exactly what he calls his father too, so that's kinda weird; Bendy Buns by the oh-so-creative Kishwen Kanna a.k.a. Kusu, and now Wendy Schmendy by the equally talented Bryan Yim a.k.a Xi Wen. What next? I'm almost afraid to ask. :D

*

Went out for dinner after my final paper to have the best nasi lemak in the world at the Maybank mamak with the usual gang, and
Marcus and Ben, Mary's classmates who joined us. And yes, they are still the two most imaginative guys I have met thus far. The way their brains work just amaze me.

Stayed at the mamak talking about idle nonsense and left at about 10:30. Went to
Ching's to donate to her Management fund for the needy. In other words, went over to help her study, lol. Quizzed her on Management until about 1 and went home. Never thought I'd have to look at another management book so soon after my finals.

Went to 1U the next day to finally watch X Men 3. Finally. Finally. Finally. I don't feel so outdated anymore, hee. It is damn good. Damn good. I loved the second one and I was dying to watch this one so badly.

Warning- X Men spoilers ahead!

Although I already knew the ending thanks to some hints from my beloved friends, *ahemmel&zhenhanahem* I still can't believe Cyclops freaking died! Ughhh. How could they do that to him? He's like the leader of the X-Men, yo! Stinking screenplay writer. Does he die in the original? He doesn't, does he? He came out for ten minutes and died.

We waited till the end of the five minute long credits, to watch the extra snippet that tells us that the Professor isn't dead after all. Which was ten second long, and might as well have been put at the end of the actual movie.

But well, as you guys know, I likeeeeeeeee
Iceman, so at least he had a pretty big role in the movie to keep my satisfied. If he had died too, I tell you, I would raise havoc with the creators of the movie.

x3still12
x3still10
x3still07
x3still16
x3still03
x3iceman01
Yeah. Those superheroes are extra hawt. :D

*

The song of the mo- Aslyn's That's When I Love You. Cute song.

Thought of the minute- England's playing tonight!

Thing(s) I should do- Finally, get started on packing my room.

Thing(s) you should do- Watch Grey's Anatomy. Great stuff.

Favourite nostalgia quote-

PBSM Camp in Bukit Cahaya, 2004.
*Everyone is sitting on the ground, listening to some boring-assed lecture.*

Finally, at the end of the lecture...

Camp commandent: Siapa mau tidur, sila bangun! [Transalation: (in a joking way) Those of you who want to sleep, please wake up.]

*some dude stands up*

Ben: (whispers) I hope that idiot's not from our squad.

Me: Better not be, man. (giggles)

Camp commandent: (confused) Ya?

*dude realises that he made a mistake, waves meekly at commandent and sits down*

Ben: Shit, it's Joseph!

Me: OMG! *covers face with hands*

Later on...

Ben: What were you doing la?

Joseph: He said 'siapa mau tidur, sila bangun' what! I thought he meant, who want to sleep, please stand up!

Us: *laughs hysterically at poor Joseph*

:D!

Psst- Oh, and I finally managed to win my first ever game of pool, all by myself with the help of Lady Luck. Such a proud moment, I tell you. :D

You Might Also Like

0 spoke

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

For the Gram