The Word On Everyone's Mouths.

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Well, sans the mouths of our mainstream media, that is. Thank God for the Internet, because freedom of the press and media does not exist in Malaysia, and I'm not very sure it ever has. Unless of course, it stands for the freedom to skew the truth in the media or practice irresponsible unfair reporting, then yes.

If I had a buck for every time the radio played an all-rainbows-and-butterflies BN ad, or every time that auntie appeared during EVERY FREAKING ADVERTISEMENT BREAK to sing praises about just how great a certain MCA dude is... I would donate it all to the Opposition. Heh.

Many years ago, I stayed up late on election day, way past my bed time with my father. Counting the number of scales and rockets and moons that scrolled past the TV screen. I remember it so clearly, strangely. I had no idea what was going on, only that for the past week or so then, the country had been in a frenzy. Banners everywhere, from tree to tree, telephone pole to another.

Yesterday I did the same thing. I no longer sat there just counting because it was fun for a little girl to do so. I counted and I anticipated because as corny as it sounds, I am a citizen of Malaysia, and I, amongst many others, am condoning change.

The term political tsunami, as over-used and stale-sounding as it is, rings true. Loud and clear, even more so in the ears of those bear the sign of the scales. Losing an additional four states to the Opposition. The ousting of many an influential minister, Barisan party presidents, over-confident Alliance candidates (and of course, who can possibly forget everyone's favourite enemy, Samy Vellu?), some at the hands of fresh, spirited, highly-motivated rookies. The resigned look on Badawi's face as he announced the simple winning in the wee hours of this morning said it all.

Change is due. Quality of life is due.


Maybe in years down the road, the younger generation will have a better-governed, safer country to live in.


And seriously, please remove all the little faces of Chew Mei Fun and everyone else ASAP. People are trying to see and drive, thanks.

You Might Also Like

0 spoke

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

For the Gram